Friday night, I land in Tokyo, Haneda airport, just after 10. I had to grab a bus and figure out where the group was, and so didn’t meet up with anyone till midnight. I received many hugs when I got there, and even a request to do a little piping. The group walked to a karaoke bar, but was crazy expensive, and I wanted to do anything but karaoke. Everyone else was tired and ready for bed anyway, so we all made our ways to our hotels to meet up the next day.
– even at the hotel, I had to go out and walk a bit to chill out from the flight. Fortunately, Japanese convenience stores have good beer and hot chicken to snack on.
Saturday morning, bunch of us meet at the convenience store at the bottom the hotel, and then start our subway trek to the NashHash site. An hour and a half, and a few transfers later, we finally alight at Shin-Matsudo station, north exit, to meet up with some more hashers
– we grab a couple drinks, and climb aboard a mini-bus to take us to the hotel.
at the hotel, check-in is on the 2nd floor: we get our swag, couple and we get our ‘running’ gear on. I also take this moment to celebrate the start with some bagpiping. An organizer lets me know there is a funeral gathering at the hotel right now and maybe now is not the best time for bagpipes.
– Was great to see such an international gathering. 6 or more of us came from Korea (up from just me last year) and 10 or so from Taiwan, many of whom I remember and more that remember me….
gather in the field behind the hotel, hares away and we do father Abraham. Through out the trail, I find myself walking in the back. Lots of hills and I can’t run. I was event tempted to get a ride back from the beer stop but instead finish with Slimie, and Methyl, and get called out as DFLs. in circle.
Slimie, Methyl and I as DFLs
– Also! Southside mis-man was called out and we did Barcelona. so fun!
Circle finishes, and bunch head in to use the hot tub. I sit in the water for a bit, but not too long I leave and sit in a massage chair in the hall. someone threw in coins and I got a massage! I almost fall asleep and so have to take a walk, just as the sauna party was getting started.
Dinner, and then ‘circle’ up in the big conference room. I play a bit, and make sure my pipes don’t get stolen again like last year by taking them to my room. Back at circle, I am called up with Mis-man and various other things. Long day for me so I don’t think I even make it to midnight.
GM down down?
In the morning, I rouse the others in the room to go get breakfast. Warm up trail was very soon after that at 9:30. Again, I walk the short course.
Lunch was 20 minutes after that, and the Ball-Buster trail was getting ready very soon after lunch. While the long runners were getting on the bus to get out for their trail, I was helping to get the drunkards trail ready for the afternoon. We needed a playground, and lots of beer. There was plenty of craft beer left in the taps, so I ask for 2 buckets of the stuff. We grab a 30 pack of PBR on the way too.
– Last year, about 10 of us didn’t feel like trail, so we grabbed beer and marked our walk to the playground where we had a circle in the middle of the kids. We eneded up having the most people on our trail, which some hares were unhappy about, and so it was necessary to do it again this year.
– I was there last year, and am already a GF, so I guess I got to be an organizer for the trail/circle. Maybe I just acted in charge and no one cared. Circle went on for about 3 or 4 hours. I think we finished all the beer and headed back tin to the hotel for food and to say goodbyes.
I had enough time to stay for a big of the main presentation, and ended up getting a big drinking horn for running the circle, and got to say a few more goodbyes before grabbing my bag and calling a taxi.
So was the end of Japan Nash Hash 2014. the rest of the trip involves expensive taxi rides, and sleeping on a bench in the airport.
– What a weekend.